Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Yummy sandwiches and truffles!



Lately I've been trying a lot of new recipes after I put Adam to bed and I wanted to share two of my recent discoveries. The first is a truffle recipe. Normally I don't consider myself a truffle person, but these are so yummy!
I first started out with homemade almond butter, although I'm sure store bought would work just as well. If you would like the recipe though here it is:

Almond Butter

1 cup shelled roasted almonds
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp honey

1. Place nuts in food processor. Process until nuts begin to hold together.

2. Add the oil, salt, and honey, and continue to process. Scrape the sides of the container from time to time, and continue to process until the nut butter is at the desired consistency.

3. Transfer the nut butter to a lidded container and keep refrigerated. For easier spreading, microwave for a few seconds before using. (I skipped this step and just left the almond butter in the food processor)

Here is the Truffle recipe:

Chocolate Almond Butter Truffles

1 cup almond butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed (This is optional but I added it)

*Ok, I know what you're thinking, "flaxseed in a truffle? Gross!". Let me assure you, ground flaxseed isn't as scary as it sounds. You can't even taste it and it's healthy for you, so why not use it? Another side note, I've been on a healthy food kick lately and this recipe and the ones following are from a vegetarian cookbook. Ok, I just wanted to explain that so you guys don't think I'm a health nut. I'm not vegetarian, I just like trying new things. Anyways...back to the recipe.

Process until completely and smoothly combined. Shape into small balls, not more than 1 inch in diameter, and refrigerate for 30 minutes or so, until firmed up ( I didn't refrigerate them, they seemed firm enough to me). The recipe doesn't call for rolling the truffles in cocoa powder, but I did. I just put some unsweeted cocoa powder on a plate and rolled each truffle in it with two toothpicks. Then I poked the truffle with one toothpick and scraped off the extra cocoa powder off. The unsweeted cocoa powder is bitter, but a light coat really complements the truffle center. I'm sure there's an easier way to lightly coat the truffles, but this is the way I did it.

Ok, this next "recipe" is a compilation of leftovers from the vegetarian cookbook. I created a fabulous (if I do say so myself) sandwich comprising of: whole wheat bread(a yummy roll would have made this sandwich perfect), homemade hummus, tomato, teriyaki tofo triangles, roasted red peppers and spring greens. Ok, now you're saying, "Tofu? Really?". Maybe I'm weird, but I really kind of like tofu if it is cooked properly. Here is the recipe if you'd like, if not I'm sure the marinade would work well with chicken or another meat.

Teriyaki Tofu Triangles

2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1 Tbsp honey
2 tsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger or a good pinch of ground ginger (I used ground ginger)
2 tsp. hoisin sauce, optional (I didn't use this)
One 16 oz. tub extra firm tofu
1 or 2 scallions, thinly sliced, optional

1. Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and stir together.

2. Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch think slices ( I suggest wrapping in paper towels or clean hand towels and placing on a plate with another plate on top and placing in the refrigerator overnight. That way you have a little less water to blot out the next day.) Blot well between clean tea towels or several layers of paper towels, then cut each slice through the thickness again to make 1/4 inch thick slices. Blot briefly again.

3. Cut each slice into 2 squares, then each square on the diagonal into 2 triangles. Place in a shallow pan and drizzle with the marinade. Gently turn the tofu pieces over so that both sides are coated evenly. Let stand 10 minutes or so.

4. Heat a wide nonstick skillet. Transfer the tofu and marinade into the skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring gently and frequently, until the tofu is nicely browned on both sides (I just waited until one side was browned, flipped it and did the same on the other side). Scatter scallions over the tofu if desired, and serve at once.

Here is the recipe for hummus, and then I will tell you how I constructed the sandwich.

Hummus

One 15 oz. can chickpeas
2 Tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
1 garlic clove, optional
Juice of 1/2 lemon, or to taste
1/2 tsp ground cumin, or to taste
salt to taste

1. Combine the beans, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and cumin, plus 1/4 cup water in a food processor. Process until smoothly blended. Stop and scrape down the sides, if needed. It should have the consistency of a thick dip, but if it's too thick, add a small amount of water.

2. Taste the dip, and while it's still in the processor, season with salt, then pulse on and off to mix. Transfer to a serving bowl.

Ok, so I assembled the sandwich by first spreading hummus on two slices of whole wheat bread. Then I added two thin slices of fresh tomato. Next I placed a single layer of teriyaki tofu trianges. Then I added some roasted red peppers. Next I added the spring greens and finally, topped it off with the second slice of bread. I really enjoyed it, so I hope you do too!

2 comments:

Joan Morris said...

What creative recipes. I'm impressed with your willingness to try new stuff ;) They sound delicious.

buddy said...

Both dishes sound good. I like tofu when it is presented in a tasty way and this sounds really tasty....and ummmmmmm truffles one of my favorite treats. Congrats and I can hardly wait to be cookin' in the kitchen with Carina again. CG