Monday, February 8, 2010

Breakfast in Bed and Frozen Ponds

Well, today was an interesting day for the Gabrielsens. I woke up this morning to breakfast in bed and the realization that I had slept in. I honestly don't think I've ever gotten to sleep in since Adam was born. I'm not sure why Aaron chose this morning, but I'm not complaining. I will say though, it was sooooooooo nice. It really was a treat and I love Aaron for being so sweet to me. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful until late afternoon. Aaron was kind enough to take Adam and Scout on a walk while my friend and I went for a run (I've been so cooped up with all the snow and eaten way too many treats). When we returned from our run I waited at my friend's house for Aaron to pick me up. Thinking he would be arriving any minute, I started to worry when the sun began to set. I couldn't call him since my phone had died right before we left the house, and he couldn't find his. So I just had sit an wait and distract myself by talking with my friend and her husband. Finally after what seemed like forever, the doorbell rang and I think i just about ran to the door. My first question was, "Where have you been?!". It probably came out more like a command, but I was really worried! Aaron replied with, "Scout fell through the ice at the lake." I didn't believe him at first, I thought he was joking and trying to cover up the fact that he had been on his ripstik. It wasn't until I asked him several more times if he was serious and noticed he had on different clothes that I believed him. As it turns out, Aaron had pulled up to the lake near our house and had walked a couple of feet with Adam before Scout spotted some geese on the pond. Before Aaron could get Scout on the leash, Scout bolted straight after the geese. Aaron immediately started to call for Scout to come back, but that dog was so in the moment, I don't think his little doggie brain registered Aaron's pleas. Scout made it about 60 feet on the frozen pond before he responded to Aaron. Right when he tried to stop his momentum, "CRACK, THWUMPK"! Scout fell right into the lake and started to whine immediately, as I'm sure the frigid temperature hit his entire body and he realized he was in trouble. Aaron said he was caught off guard at first and couldn't believe what had just transpired. He could see Scout struggling and knew if he didn't do something the dog would die. There was no way he could save Scout while holding Adam, so he ran back to the car, buckled Adam in, locked the car and sprinted back to the lake (the car was close to the lake and he could see Adam the entire time). At first he said he walked on some rocks that were half way to Scout and he thought if he laid his body on the ice with an 8 ft. log, that maybe Scout could bite or catch onto it somehow and pull himself out. As he laid down Aaron realized he couldn't reach and the next thing he knew, "CRACK, THWUMPK"! Aaron plunged into the frozen pond (wearing boots, jeans and a puffy down jacket) as well and began to wade towards Scout, breaking the ice as he went to make a path for their return. He made it so far with his feet touching the ground before he reached a point where he was forced to swim. Finally Aaron reached Scout and grabbed him with one arm as he began to turn and head back to shore. Scout exhausted, collapsed on aaron and allowed Aaron to take him back. When they reached the shore Scout couldn't walk, so Aaron wrapped him up in his jacket and brought him to the car. He blasted the heat to try and warm up Scout and rushed home to change clothes and dry Scout off. Well, that pretty much sums up Scout's close call to becoming a dogsicle. Both Aaron and Scout are fine and I think we've had enough excitement for one day.

4 comments:

buddy said...

Holy Cow, Aaron. That is the second dog you have saved from a watery grave in your life. I am glad you are safe and sound....love to you all. mom

Joan Morris said...

Oh my gosh, that is quite the heroic story. I'm so thankful everyone is okay. Hopefully the weather in Virginia will warm up soon!

Kay Hinton said...

Oh. my. gosh. So grateful you're okay, Aaron. Wow.

Sarah said...

That's crazy! So many things could have gone wrong! I'm just happy I'm hearing about it after the fact and that things are fine now.