Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Potty Training Time!!!

I know I haven't posted any pictures with these past two posts, (very unlike me) but I needed to write down these two stories for posterity sake.

Ok, Adam won't be two until the 26th of this month, but I thought I might start introducing the potty. He's been picking up so many words lately and has recently started saying "potty, poo-poo, and pee-pee", so I figured I better take advantage of this golden opportunity. After Aaron finished with work today, we went as a family to Walmart and purchased Adam's "Big Boy" potty . I let Aaron pick it out, and I'm sure Buddy will be pleased to hear it is a baseball potty (gotta start somewhere right John?). Adam was more interested in looking at cars, so we quickly gathered the other items we needed, paid, and drove home. Once we got home I announced to Adam I was going to put his "Big Boy" potty in his bathroom, hoping he would follow me. He repeated the word potty back to me, but decided he would rather play with his cars downstairs than follow me upstairs. It wasn't until after dinner when it was time for his bath that he showed any curiosity. He walked right over to it and with his toddler motions and "words" he "asked" me to put him on his potty. He seemed a little unsure at first, but when I pointed out the oversized handles on the sides he seemed to relax. He sat for a little bit and when nothing happened, I told him he could try again after his bath. Right as I pulled the drain plug, Adam began saying potty (as if to say, "you promised mom, don't forget"). I dried him off quickly just in case he really did have to go, then plopped him on the potty, and wrapped him with the towel so he wouldn't get chilly. We chatted about the doggy falling in the ice and Dada saving him, his potty that looked like a ball, walls (he has recently been fascinated in asking us the difference between ceilings and walls), and other serious matters that I won't bore you with :). At one point during our conversation he even called for Dada to come and see him on his potty. I called to Dada to bring juice, hoping to help Adam pee. By now I think Adam had been on his "Big Boy" potty for at least 30 minutes and had no intention of getting off. Finally I convinced him he could try again tomorrow, and I got him down while instructing him to go to his room so we could get his diaper and pajamas on. My mistake. Normally he listens surprisingly well for his age, but he decided he was going to Mama and Dada's room and he climbed right into our bed, got under the covers and declared, "Night, Night!". Well, by the time I got to him, he had emptied his entire bladder on our bed (including the additional juice I gave him). Now I was a little frustrated, but I couldn't get mad at Adam. He had no idea, plus the whole situation was too comical. I just laughed and thought to myself, "Let the accidents begin!". Tomorrow's a new day right?

4 comments:

Kay Hinton said...

What a sweet, patient mama. You're right, it will all come in time.

Kay Hinton said...

I told this story when we were all together this weekend and we all had a good laugh.

Carina said...

Lol, I still kinda chuckle to myself when I think about it. I'm glad it provided a good laugh for your family as well :).

Sarah said...

Oh man. I"m not looking forward to this potty training business. Good luck!